For diabetics, some of the most difficult times of the year can be Easter, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day and Christmas. Why, well that’s when most of us can let loose and eat cakes, cookies and everything else under the sun. People with diabetes are not so fortunate and need to follow the American and or Australian Dietary Guidelines. They have to eat the recommended amount of food from each of the five food groups – thus providing them with the nutrients needed to be healthy and prevent chronic diseases such as obesity, heart disease and of course complications with diabetes.
A healthy eating plan for diabetes can include some sugar. It is ok to have a sprinkle of sugar on porridge or a scrape of jam on some low GI high fibre bread. However, foods that are high in added sugars and poor sources of other nutrients should be consumed sparingly. In particular, limit high energy foods such as sweets, candy and standard soft drinks. Some sugar may also be used in cooking, and many recipes can be modified to use less than the amount stated or substituted with an alternative sweetener. Select recipes that are low in fat (particularly saturated fat) and contain some fibre.
Everyone’s needs are different – all people with diabetes should see an Accredited Practising Dietitian in conjunction with their diabetes team for individualised advice.
That said, we all need a treat from time-to-time. Here are 27 ideas to help you get your sugar fix in a healthier way.
1. Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom – Healthy Banana and Oatmeal Cookies (No Butter, Sugar, Flour or Dairy)
2. Recipe Girl – Sugar-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
3. Peace, Love, and Low Carb – Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
4. Amy’s Healthy Baking – Double Chocolate Muffins (Sugar-Free)
5. Chocolate Covered Katie – Sugar-Free Banana Bread
6. Drop the Sugar – Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
7. The Kitchen McCabe – Raspberry Rose Mini Cheesecakes with Pistachio Crumble
8. Life. Love. Liz – Dairy-Free Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
9. The Girl Who Ate Everything – Mascarpone-Stuffed Strawberries
10. Happiness is Homemade – Sugar-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread
11. Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom – Healthy Banana Oatmeal Cookie
12. Peace, Love, and Low Carb – Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
13. Amy’s Healthy Baking – Raspberry Cheesecake Oatmeal Cookies
14. Chocolate Covered Katie – Sugar-Free Vanilla Pudding
15. Drop The Sugar – Sugar-Free Coconut Flour Cake
16. The Frugal Foodie Mama – Guilt-Free Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
17. The Kitchen McCabe – Caramelized Banana Browned Butter Pecan Ice Cream (Sugar-Free, Paleo)
18. Living on a Dime – Gluten Free, Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Dough Cookies
19. The Healthy Foodie – Apple Crumble Squares
20. Happiness is Homemade – Pumpkin Spice Caramels with No Added Sugar
21. Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom – Low Carb/Sugar-Free Jello Fluff Salad Recipe
22. Peace, Love, and Low Carb – Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies
23. Amy’s Healthy Baking – Whole Wheat Strawberry Blueberry Banana Bread
24. Chocolate Covered Katie – Sugar-Free Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip
25. Drop the Sugar – Sugar-Free Gluten Free Brownies
26. The Kitchen McCabe – Chocolate Mousse (Dairy Free, Vegan, Refined Sugar-Free)
27. Living on a Dim – Sugar-Free Coconut Balls
Pin to Pinterest